When the school reassembled in the summer of 1914 war had been declared and excitement was at fever pitch. The Woodbridgian captured the mood: ‘The number of Old Woodbridgians serving with His Majesty’s forces is well over 100. Fresh names are continually being added to the list. Five who were in school last term are among those serving.’
Many staff enlisted, including the headmaster R. Kennard-Davis and the School House Common room was used as a place of convalescence. The war memorial, erected in 1921, shows 60 names of those who were lost.
The commencement of the Autumn term in 1939 coincided with the outbreak of the second world war:
Post War, the School saw a great deal of change, including steady growth in the number of students and the acquisition of the Abbey building in 1948, which saw a future for the school we know today.