Year 6 have just come back from a very successful week at Marchant’s Hill Outdoor Adventure Centre in the beautiful Surrey hills. The beech woods rang with enthusiastic laughter as the children abseiled, whizzed through the air on zip-wires or launched their home-made rafts on the lake.
The children have had enormous fun and have learned such a lot. They seem to have grown in confidence and stature having confronted their fear of heights, learnt the best way to support and encourage one another and to look after themselves whilst away from home, sometimes for the very first time.
PGL and Abbey staff were very impressed with the resilience and determined attitude of all the children.
We would like to thank PGL staff, our GAP student Beth, Mrs Clubb, Mr French and Miss Ballam for all their help.
PGL Comments from Abbey Pupils
- It was the greatest experience of my life.
- I loved flying through the air.
- Joint favourites were the giant swing and rifle shooting, but a friend of mine thought Abseiling was the best!
- The songs the Groupie got us to sing were cool!
- At times it was scary, but it still was fun.
- The girls in my group managed to stay on their raft just until the end and then we fell in – we couldn’t stop laughing.
- I tried all the activities. Even though I am frightened of heights I conquered my fears. I feel pretty proud of myself.
- Mud, mud glorious mud! We got covered when we ran round the Challenge course and splashed through water.
- Thank you Mrs Clubb for being the most amazing group leader and to all the staff for encouraging and supporting us.
- It was so much fun. I didn’t want to leave.